Southwestern Smothered Chicken
A spicy chicken recipe that puts a spin on taco chicken!
If there is one thing I love when it comes to cooking, simple recipes is the winner! As I have shared before, I am a working mom SO dinner time is kind of a hectic rush. I need things I can throw together quickly and this Southwestern Smothered Chicken does the trick. It is a true under 30 minute meal that can be made in the Instant Pot OR stove-top, win-win. Just recently our stove went out (insert eyeroll) so pretty much everything is done in the Instant Pot.
2 chicken breasts, cut in half and pounded flat
2 T cayenne pepper
2 T ground cumin
1 cup corn, canned or frozen
1 cup salsa
- Add oil to bottom of pan and heat. If using Instant Pot turn on Saute setting.
- Mix together cayenne pepper and ground cumin, rub on all sides of the chicken.
- Place chicken in oil and cook on 5-6 minutes on each side. Add more oil as necessary.
- While chicken is cooking, mix together salsa and corn. IF corn is frozen I recommend heating in microwave for a minute.
- Once chicken is fully cooked on both sides, top with corn salsa mixture. If cooking in the Instant Pot – remove from pan before doing this.
- Top with cheese and cover pan for 5-6 minutes until cheese is melted. If cooked in Instant Pot you have removed chicken and will top on the plate!