Review: ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box
When I had the opportunity to receive a ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box in return for my honest review – I could not pass it up! Having five cats is no easy feat at times, especially with the litter box duties! I have spent most of the last 5 years pregnant and so those litter duties have fallen on my husband…. and he was less than thrilled about the new job. With so many cats you MUST change the litter at least once a week and that means dumping the WHOLE thing (dust flying everywhere) and hoping none is stuck to the bottom. It is a real pain!
ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box
The idea of a self-cleaning litter box kind of had me unsure about what to expect. Currently we are scooping our regular boxes once or twice A DAY. One of the best features of the self-cleaning litter box is in the title itself – IT SELF CLEANS!
A few of the other *key* (read: AWESOME) features:
- The automatic rake system sweeps waste into the covered compartment 5, 10 or 20 minutes after a cat uses the litter box and uses safety sensors that will reset the timer after detecting the cat’s re-entry to the box.
- A built-in health counter tracks how many times the cat has used the box, which helps the cat’s owner quickly identify any possible health problems. (for fewer cats in the household)
- An optional privacy hood helps keep litter in the box.
- Covered waste trip locks in odor and leaves litter box smelling clean and fresh
- The disposable litter trays are packed with special, crystal litter that absorbs moisture and is five times more effective at reducing odors than clay and clumping litters.
- Other features of the crystal litter include:
- Disposable trays for hands-off convenience
- Uses 5-10x less litter than clay or clumping litter
- 99% dust free
- Absorbs urine on contact and dries solid waste to reduce odor
- For best results:
- 1 cat – each tray lasts 20-30 days
- 2 cats – each tray lasts 15-20 days
- 3+ cats – each tray lasts 7-10 days
I really love this option for a litter box because it allows me to also clean the litter box instead of it always being my husband. The disposable trays are just that: DISPOSABLE! So, rather than creating a dust monster every time we have to change litter, it all just goes in the trash and we start fresh. If you only have one or two cats the tray would last even longer! I wasn’t taken aback by having to change it every 7-10 days because we already do that but the best part is that we don’t have to scoop the litter twice a day!
Our cats were scared of it for about a week or two but the company provided some GREAT tips for ways to get your cats adjusted to the new system (shared below!). You can also program the amount of time between the cat using the litter box and the self-scooping so it does not spook the cat(s).
Two color options: Purple or Taupe, Current Price: $169.99 on Petsafe.com or $143.99 on Amazon 🙂
Get your litter trays through PetSafe.com also!
Tips for Helping Your Cat Adjust to ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box!
Most cats will easily adapt to the ScoopFree® Self-Cleaning Litter Box, but some cats may need an adjustment period. Here are some tips that may help your cat with the transition:
- Place the new ScoopFree litter box next to your cat’s current litter box. Allow them to have access to both boxes for at least a week.
- Add a few handfuls of your cat’s old, unused litter to the new crystal litter tray. You can also add some of the crystal litter to their current box.
- Stop cleaning your cat’s old litter box, allowing it to remain dirty. Since cats prefer a clean litter box, so this will help make the new ScoopFree litter box more appealing.
- Once your cat has transitioned to the ScoopFree box, remove their old box.
For kittens less than 6 months old, leave the litter box unplugged and scoop waste until they are over 6 months. This way, they can get used to using the ScoopFree litter box without any risks.
Do you have an automatic litter box? I would love to hear your thoughts!