Make Use Of Your Rotting Bananas –
Don’t Throw Them Away!
When I buy bananas at the store, I never know how many to buy. The week I buy 3 is the week my kids want to eat 3 a day. Yet, when I buy 8-9 bananas they do not want to touch them at all! Recently I had several bananas that were gross- no one was going to eat them in my house. Our recent budget kick has made me literally cringe when I throw food in the trash so I knew I had to figure out how to salvage the poor rotting bananas. A simple banana bread recipe was the answer! We did not have any walnuts but we had all the other ingredients to make this delicious banana bread. It only took 3 bananas and created TWO big loaves that we ate on for a whole week! So, don’ throw away your rotting bananas – make good use of them!
Simple Banana Bread
3 very ripe (almost bad) bananas, mashed
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 & 2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 t vanilla
2 & 1/2 cups ALL PURPOSE flour
1 & 1/4 t baking soda
1 & 1/4 baking powder
1/2 t salt
3/4 c walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mash bananas in one bowl.
- Mix together oil, sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla, and eggs. Once well mixed, add in mashed bananas.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and walnuts.
- Add to the banana mixture and only stir until combined.
- Grease to 9X5 loaf pans and pour mixture evenly in to the two.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Once done, a toothpick should come out clean if inserted in to the middle. If not, add another 5 minutes.
- Store in plastic wrap (if it lasts that long!)