Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
This 30 minute meal is sure to change your weeknight meals!
I am way behind on posting any new recipes because morning sickness has taken over my life. We have been living off of chicken salad and Stouffers meals. For a while I could not even stand the thought of meat and had to buy everything precooked or just let JD cook when he got home as I shouted directions from the living room! HA! I also haven’t been doing my monthly meal plans like in February, March, and April but it was because what sounded good one day just did not sound good the next! I will be back in the swing of meal plans come August!
Tonight I scrounged up whatever frozen meat we had leftover and tried to decide on a meal. I found two bags of what I think was either stew meat or flank steak. Honestly, our freezer does a pretty good job and I just couldn’t tell. I did my best to thaw it out and then used a knife to cut it in to cubes. It was still pretty frozen but the recipe turned out just fine.
Mongolian Beef – Instant Pot
2 lbs flank steak, cut in to thin strips
1-1/2 T minced garlic
1/2 T ground ginger
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1-1/2 cups light brown sugar
2 T cornstarch
3 T cold water
White Rice, cooked (we just use Instant Rice!)
- Turn Instant Pot on to Saute setting and allow to get hot. Add a GENEROUS amount of olive oil – enough to coat the bottom, and then some. Add in 1/3 of the flank steak and cook until brown, remove and set aside in bowl. Continue until all flank steak has been browned. Turn Instant Pot off.
- Drain the oil from the inner pot – use a pot holder to grab the pot. I drained it in the sink and quickly rinsed. Place pot back in the outer pot. Add garlic and let it saute for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water, 1/2 T ground ginger, 1/2 cup soy sauce, and 1-1/2 cups brown sugar to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Add previously browned flank steak to the Instant Pot. Seal the lid and set to manual for 12 minutes.
- While beef is cooking, cook the instant rice.
- Quick release the pressure once the timer goes off. In a small bowl mix together cornstarch and water. Add to Instant Pot and stir to combine with beef and sauce. Stir until slightly thicker.
- Serve beef over rice and ENJOY!
My two kids (ages 2-1/2 and 1) ATE THIS UP and they hardly touch beef when I cook it. I am actually looking forward to the leftovers!